Frequently Asked Questions
What is Oak Barrel Ferments?
Oak barrels are used as containers for the fermentation process. Oak is favored because it's porous, allowing a controlled amount of oxygen to interact with the contents, enhancing the fermentation.
What makes your fermentation process unique?
Natural fermentation processes occur within the barrels. For example, in the case of pickles or kraut, lactic acid fermentation takes place, preserving and transforming the ingredients. In the case of beverages like wine and whiskey, fermentation of sugars by yeast occurs.
How do you make your kimchi, kraut, and pickles?
We honor the time-honored traditions of fermentation, using natural fermentation processes that have been perfected over generations. This dedication to tradition allows us to capture the authentic essence of these foods while infusing them with our unique twist.
How do I store your fermented products?
Fermented products, including pickles, kraut, and kimchi, should be stored in the refrigerator. The lower temperature slows down the fermentation process and helps preserve the flavors. Ensure that your refrigerator is set to a suitable temperature, typically around 34-40°F (1-4°C).
What's the shelf life of your products?
The shelf life of our fermented products can vary depending on several factors, including the type of product, storage conditions, and the level of fermentation at the time of purchase. However, here are some general guidelines for the shelf life of common fermented products:
- Pickles: Properly stored pickles can have a shelf life of several months to a year or more when refrigerated. As time passes, the texture and flavor of the pickles may evolve, with the pickles becoming more sour and flavorful.
- Sauerkraut (Kraut): Sauerkraut stored in the refrigerator can last several months to a year. Like pickles, the flavor may intensify with time.
- Kimchi: Kimchi is known for its long shelf life. It can remain good for months to years when stored in the refrigerator. As it ages, the flavors may become more complex and intense.
It's important to note that while these are general guidelines, the actual shelf life can vary depending on factors such as the ingredients used, the specific fermentation process, and the conditions in which the products are stored.
To get the most accurate information about the shelf life of our specific products, we recommend checking the "best by" or "use by" date on the packaging if provided. Additionally, observe the appearance, texture, and aroma of the product. If you notice any signs of spoilage, such as mold, off odors, or unusual colors, it's best to discard the product.
Overall, proper refrigeration and sealing of containers are key factors in prolonging the shelf life of our fermented products.
Can I find your products in local stores?
You can! Please refer to our main menu in the Store Locations option.
Are your products probiotic-rich?
Yes, our fermented products are often probiotic-rich. Probiotics are beneficial live microorganisms that can have positive effects on digestive health and overall well-being. They are commonly found in naturally fermented foods like pickles, kraut, and kimchi.
The fermentation process involves the action of lactic acid bacteria, which convert sugars into lactic acid, creating an acidic environment that inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria while promoting the growth of beneficial probiotic bacteria. These probiotics, often belonging to the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium genera, can be present in significant quantities in properly fermented products.
Consuming fermented foods like our pickles, kraut, and kimchi can contribute to a healthy gut microbiome and support digestion. However, the specific probiotic content can vary based on factors such as the fermentation process, ingredients used, and length of fermentation.
If you have specific questions about the probiotic content of our products or are looking for particular strains of probiotics, feel free to reach out to us for more detailed information. We're committed to providing products that are not only delicious but also promote digestive health and well-being.
How can I contact your customer support team for inquiries or assistance?
You can easily contact our customer support team for inquiries or assistance through the following methods:
1. **Email:** Send an email to our customer support team at email@example.com. We strive to respond to emails promptly and address any questions or concerns you may have.
2. **Phone:** You can reach our customer support team by phone at (206) 395-8098. Our representatives are available during our business hours to assist you.
3. **Contact Form:** Visit our website and navigate to the "Contact Us" page. Fill out the provided contact form with your name, email address, subject, and message. Click "Submit," and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
4. **Social Media:** Reach out to us via social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter by sending a direct message or posting a comment. Our social media team monitors these channels and can assist with inquiries.
5. **Physical Address:** If you prefer traditional mail, you can write to us at our physical address, 5489 Crawford Rd, Langley, WA 98260
Please include as much detail as possible when contacting our customer support team, including your name, contact information, and a clear description of your inquiry or issue. We're here to assist you and ensure that you have the best possible experience with our products and services.
When does my order ship out?
We process and ship all orders every Monday morning at the start of the week to ensure delivery by the week's end. Orders received after 10:00 a.m. PST on Monday will be queued for the following week's shipment.
What occurs during the shipping process?
Our products are packaged with ice packs to regulate fermentation and maintain product crispness. During transit, the ice packs will melt, potentially exposing the product to elevated temperatures. Consequently, the live cultures may become active again and recommence the fermentation process, which is entirely natural.
If your package appears swollen or bloated, this is due to the accumulation of carbon dioxide. To address this, simply open the product, release excess air by gently 'burping' it, reseal it, and store it in your refrigerator.
Does Britt's Fermented Foods ship outside of the United States?
At this time, we regret to inform you that we do not offer international shipping for our products; we currently only ship within the United States.