- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup Britts Fermented Foods pickles, chopped (mix of your favorite pickles)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Croutons or fresh bread for serving
1. Prepare the Vegetables:
- In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add chopped onions and garlic, and sauté until translucent.
- Add diced potatoes and sliced carrots. Cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
2. Make the Roux:
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
3. Add Broth and Pickles:
- Gradually pour in the vegetable or chicken broth while stirring continuously to avoid clumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Add chopped Britts Fermented Foods pickles to the pot. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the vegetables are tender about 15-20 minutes.
4. Blend the Soup:
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth, or leave it slightly chunky if you prefer texture.
5. Add Milk and Sour Cream:
- Return the soup to low heat. Pour in the milk slowly, stirring constantly. Add sour cream and mix until well incorporated. Be careful not to let the soup boil after adding the dairy to prevent curdling.
6. Season and Garnish:
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in fresh chopped dill, reserving some for garnish.
- Remove the soup from heat and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Ladle the pickle soup into bowls. Garnish with additional dill and serve hot, optionally with croutons or fresh bread on the side.
This unique Britts Fermented Foods Pickle Soup combines the tangy goodness of pickles with creamy comfort, making it a delightful and flavorful dish. Enjoy your warm bowl of pickle soup on a chilly day! 🥒🍲